KOTA KINABALU: The classmates and family members of a primary school student here who recently tested positive for Covid-19 have been placed under the mandatory two-week quarantine.
Sabah health director Dr Christina Rundi said they had also been tested for Covid-19 themselves.
“We have taken samples from the student’s contacts at home and the entire classroom besides ordering the compulsory quarantine,” she said in her daily briefing last night.
The student tested positive for the virus after visiting a government clinic for treatment on Monday.
Rundi advised parents to refrain from sending their children to school if they were unwell and to instead send them for an immediate health check.
“Parents must also ensure that their children follow the new norms at school like social distancing, wearing of masks, using sanitiser and avoiding confined spaces in order to curb the spread of the virus,” she said.
Rundi said there were 392 cumulative cases of Covid-19 infections in Sabah so far, with three new cases reported yesterday.
One involved a schoolboy from Papar who tested positive during a high-risk screening.
Another involved a woman who sought treatment for fever in Lahad Datu while the remaining patient involved a man from Penampang who had just returned from an overseas trip.