KUALA LUMPUR: Politicians were appointed to 17 companies owned by the finance ministry based on their abilities and expertise, the Dewan Rakyat was told.
The finance ministry said the appointments took into account the needs of the agencies as well as the background and abilities of the appointee, to allow the company to operate at its optimum level.
“Therefore, politicians who are qualified or meet the fit and proper criteria were appointed to serve in the board of Finance Ministry Incorporated companies.
“This is one of the ways to improve the companies and diversify the composition of its members in terms of ability, expertise and experience,” the ministry said in a written reply to Lim Kit Siang (PH-Iskandar Puteri).
Lim had asked Finance Minister Tengku Zafrul Aziz to list the companies where political appointments had been made since March 2, and explain how their appointments would help the companies.
The ministry listed 17 agencies where political appointments had been made. They were:
- Amanah Raya Berhad
- Felcra Berhad
- Indah Water Konsortium Sdn Bhd
- Institut Terjemahan dan Buku Malaysia Berhad
- JKP Sdn Bhd
- Khazanah Nasional Berhad
- Padiberas Nasional Berhad
- Pengurusan Aset Air Berhad
- Perbadanan Nasional Berhad
- Perbadanan Usahawan Nasional Berhad
- Prasarana Malaysia Berhad
- Rangkaian Hotel Seri Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- Syarikat Perumahan Negara Berhad
- Tenaga Nasional Berhad
- UDA Holdings Berhad
- Yayasan Amanah Hartanah Bumiputera
- Yayasan Pelaburan Bumiputera