47 recoveries against 7 new Covid-19 cases

PUTRAJAYA: The health ministry this evening confirmed seven new Covid-19 infections, including six imported cases.

The total number of cases stands at 9,070.

There were also 47 recoveries as of noon today, pushing the total number of patients discharged to 8,775.

In a statement, health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said there were no new positive cases reported in the Sivagangga cluster.

On Thursday, Noor Hisham had said there was a possibility the cluster, originally from Kedah, may be from a “super-spreader” strain of the virus as it had a faster rate of transmission compared with previous Covid-19 clusters.

A total of 4,198 individuals have been screened in the cluster, including tests done in Kedah, Perlis and Penang. Forty-three have tested positive, 3,235 negative and 920 are awaiting results.

“We will provide information about the cluster’s situation from time to time,” said Noor Hisham, who urged the public to verify any details before passing them to others.

He had previously noted that there was a fake message which went viral, containing information of the area a patient had visited.

Meanwhile, three of the six new imported cases detected today are Malaysians who recently returned from overseas.

The sole local transmission involves a Malaysian who returned from Indonesia on May 7 and is being warded at the Tuanku Ja’afar Hospital in Seremban.

Two of the 170 cases that are currently active are being treated in the intensive care unit (ICU), with one needing respiratory assistance.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR LIVE UPDATE OF THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA