Third school in Kuala Sanglang closed for 2 weeks

Three schools in the Sanglang district of Perlis have been closed for two weeks because of a spate of Covid-19 infections. (Bernama pic)

KANGAR: A third school in Kuala Sanglang has been ordered to close for two weeks following the enforcement of the targeted enhanced movement control order since last night.

Menteri Besar Azlan Man said the school is SJKC Chin Hun.

“The closure of all three schools for two weeks from tomorrow, namely Aug 10 to Aug 23, involves a total of 876 students and 112 teachers,” he wrote on his Facebook page today.

Yesterday, the state education department had ordered the closure of SK Kuala Sanglang and SMK Kuala Sanglang.

Azlan added that the teachers involved were required to undergo a home isolation order (HIO) during the period.

Meanwhile, a total of 15 Form Six examination students from SMK Syed Alwi residing in Kampung Tanah Timbul and Kampung Kuala Sanglang have been provided with temporary accommodation at the school’s hostel and other alternative accommodation nearby, he said.

The Perlis state government has implemented lockdown restrictions at the two villages for 28 days from 10pm last night, after a spate of Covid-19 infections.

As of yesterday, Perlis had recorded 30 cases, including 11 from the Sivagangga cluster which started in Napoh, Kubang Pasu, Kedah.

Tighter security at Seberang Perai markets

In Butterworth, the Seberang Perai City Council announced tighter safety measures and increased enforcement at 12 public markets following the detection of a Covid-19 case in Seberang Perai Selatan.

Seberang Perai mayor Rozali Mohamud said the council was also tightening security at markets in Sungai Bakap, Taman Berjaya and Bandar Tasek Mutiara.

Sterilisation work would now be carried out every day instead of once in two days, he said.

Several night markets had been asked to suspend operations for not properly complying with procedures.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST DATA ON THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA