PUTRAJAYA: The health ministry this evening confirmed 15 new Covid-19 cases, as infections continue to outpace recoveries.
With the latest cases, the total number of infections rose to 9,129.
Of the 15, 11 were local transmissions involving 10 Malaysians, including nine from a new cluster in Tawar, Kedah, and one case who tested positive at the Sungai Buloh hospital.
The remaining four were imported cases, all involving Malaysians, with three returning from Indonesia and one from Yemen.
Four recoveries were recorded, pushing the total number of patients discharged to 8,821.
Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said there are 183 active cases.
He said two patients are being treated in the intensive care unit (ICU), with none requiring respiratory assistance.
There were no new Covid-19 related deaths, with the toll remaining at 125.
Noor Hisham also revealed that the ministry had tested a student from a school in Seri Pantai, Lembah Pantai, twice and on those two occasions, the results came out negative.
However, the student, despite displaying symptoms, tested positive for dengue.
They also screened 54 of the student’s close contacts, all of whom tested negative.
Noor Hisham said there had been no surge in Covid-19 cases following the gathering by supporters of former prime minister Najib Razak outside the Kuala Lumpur High Court on July 28.
He said the new cases were mainly from the Sivagangga, Kurau, Tawar and Meranti clusters.
“What is important is, there are no reports (of new cases) linked to the gathering, but we are monitoring,” he said.
Last month, hundreds of supporters had surrounded Najib on his walk from Masjid Wilayah to the courthouse for the verdict in his SRC International case, sparking concerns of a new cluster.
CLICK HERE FOR OUR LIVE UPDATE OF THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA