Lorry driver changes plea, claims trial to sexual exploitation of wife, daughter

The lorry driver is accused of sexually exploiting his wife and daughter from 2015 to early this year. (Bernama pic)

KLANG: A lorry driver, who previously pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual exploitation of his wife and daughter between 2015 and this year, changed his plea to not guilty in the Sessions Court here today.

The 43-year-old changed his plea after the two charges were read out to him again by the court interpreter.

On the first count, the father of four is charged with sexually exploiting his wife, 37, at a water treatment plant and at a condominium unit in Cheras between January 2015 and May last year.

On the second count, he is charged with sexually exploiting his daughter, 13, at the same condominium unit between January 2019 and February this year.

The charges are framed under Section 13(b) and 14 of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons and Anti-Smuggling of Migrants Act 2007, which provides imprisonment of up to 20 years and also a fine, if found guilty.

Lawyer Gabriel Susayan said his client changed his plea as he had not understood the previous charges read out to him and the punishment that would be imposed.

“Before this, the accused did not have the opportunity to appoint a lawyer. In accordance with Article 5 (3) of the Federal Constitution, the accused has the right to a lawyer, and we are offering free legal (services). We will do our best to handle the case,” he said.

The court set Sept 21 for case management.