PETALING JAYA: The health ministry reported 82 new Covid-19 infections today, 60 of which were from Sabah.
This brings the total number of Covid-19 infections to 10,358.
Of the 60 cases in Sabah, 41 were from the Benteng cluster. The Pulau and Selamat clusters recorded six new cases each.
No new Covid-19 related deaths were reported, with the death toll remaining at 130, or 1.26% of total cases.
At a press conference today, health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said 168 people had been discharged, bringing the total number of recoveries to 9,563.
There are currently 665 active cases with nine patients in the intensive care unit (ICU) and two requiring respiratory assistance.
Regarding preparations for the upcoming Sabah polls on Sept 26, Noor Hisham said protocols had been put in place for election centres, including isolated voting booths which would be handled by two health officials in full personal protective equipment or PPE.
The ministry was also conducting enhanced case detection in Lahad Datu, Tawau, Kunak and Semporna to curb the spread of the virus in the state, he said.
“So far we have been observing and monitoring the situation. We think that we are able to contain and mitigate the whole situation. More importantly, everyone, whether frontliners or the public, must comply with the SOPs.”
Noor Hisham said practicing physical distancing and wearing face masks would break the virus’ transmission by 85%.
He also said the ministry had managed to contain Malaysia’s rate of infection or R0 (pronounced R-naught), by bringing it down to less than 1.
From the ministry’s judgement, the situation in Sabah was under control, he said.
“Election day is in the next three days, we hope that we will be able to contain (the virus) after the election.
“After the election, we will do another surveillance and make sure to look into the monitoring of the situation, whether we need to proceed and take any other action.”
CLICK HERE FOR OUR LIVE UPDATE OF THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA