KUALA LUMPUR: Police have confirmed that there was no involvement of insiders in the robbery of jewellery and gold worth more than RM3 million on the Sungai Besi Highway (Besraya) here on Monday.
Kuala Lumpur police chief Saiful Azly Kamaruddin said a special team from the Kuala Lumpur CID had been set up to investigate and scrutinise the similarity of the case with several previous cases.
“Kuala Lumpur police are looking at similar incidents in Perak and Penang on whether the same suspects were involved or not,” he told a press conference today.
He said police were still tracking the suspects and have already obtained some information.
Saiful said eight individuals have given their statement, including an e-hailing driver who recorded the incident, but no new witnesses had turned up since.
On Monday, a salesman of a gold distributor company and his friend were injured in an ambush by three armed men who took their vehicle and jewellery and gold worth more than RM3 million as well as RM67,000 in cash.
Police said the victims were on their way from Kuchai Lama to Sungai Besi and were stopped by two four-wheel-drive vehicles. The victim’s car was later found ablaze in Damansara, Petaling Jaya.