Teresa Kok withdraws bid to cite Malay rights group leader for contempt

Teresa Kok and Azwanddin Hamzah settled Kok’s lawsuit in July last year, but Azwanddin failed to honour the out-of-court settlement.

KUALA LUMPUR: Former primary industries minister Teresa Kok today withdrew her bid to cite Malay rights group leader Azwanddin Hamzah for contempt over his failure to honour an out-of-court settlement.

The Seputeh MP had filed a lawsuit against Azwanddin over claims he made at a gathering for the late fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim that she was involved in a land dispute concerning the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman temple.

Her lawyer SN Nair said she withdrew her application for contempt proceedings as well as an arrest warrant after Azwanddin appeared in court today.

“He gave an assurance that he will settle the matter,” said Nair.

“Meanwhile, we have decided to proceed with our bankruptcy petition against him at the Shah Alam High Court, and he was fine with it,” he said, adding the Shah Alam court would hear Kok’s petition on Nov 16.

He said in the bankruptcy proceedings, Azwanddin would have to file his application to oppose their petition.

“If he fails to do so, we will get the court order in our favour and proceed with the bankruptcy procedure,” said Nair.

He said Kok opted to move on with the bankruptcy petition on “humanitarian” grounds.

“My client only wants the sum in the consent judgment, not to commit others in jail because they cannot pay,” he added.

Kok and Azwanddin settled the lawsuit in July last year, where Azwanddin was supposed to pay an undisclosed sum of money as part of the consent judgment and publish an apology in three newspapers – The Star, Sin Chew Daily and Sinar Harian.

Kok said she was never involved in the temple riots that took place in November 2018 and Azwanddin’s statement was “clearly motivated by bad motive and malicious intentions”.