2 new Covid-19 clusters detected in Selangor

Both clusters were caused by those who had travelled to Sabah.

PUTRAJAYA: Two new Covid-19 clusters have been detected in the Gombak and Hulu Selangor districts of Selangor, involving Malaysian men who had travelled to Sabah.

A 36-year-old Malaysian man who returned from Semporna was the first case in the Seri Setia cluster in Gombak, in the area bordering Kuala Lumpur and Selangor.

Three other positive cases, all Malaysians, were recorded there following close-contact screenings; 23 people have been screened so far.

Another 37-year-old Malaysian man who also travelled to Sabah was the first case in the Seri Anggerik cluster in Hulu Selangor, where 14 other Malaysians have since been found to be infected.

A total of 67 people have been screened so far for this cluster, with 38 people awaiting their test results.

Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the original source of infection of both clusters is still being investigated, said Noor Hisham.

New Selangor cases are returnees from Sabah

He said there were 31 new cases in Selangor today, almost half of whom had a travel history to Sabah.

“Thirteen screened cases were returnees from high-risk areas in Sabah. Eight cases are from the new cluster which is the Seri Anggerik cluster. Three cases are from the Jalan Meru cluster.”

He added that one more case was from the newly identified Seri Setia cluster in Gombak. Close contact screenings detected another three infected individuals in this cluster.

129 cases in Kedah’s Tembok cluster

Noor Hisham said most of the 129 cases in Kedah were from the recently identified Tembok cluster, with 128 infections. One other case was detected from a close contact screening with a positive patient.

Fifty-two out of the 113 cases in Sabah, he said, were detected through health official screenings.

Another 35 were from the Benteng LD cluster, and 15 from the Bangau-Bangau cluster. The Laut and Pulau clusters also recorded one new case each.

“It is hoped that implementing the targeted movement control order (TEMCO), inter-district travel ban in the entire state which will begin at 12.01am on Oct 3 until Oct 16 and all other monitoring activities on the field will help to contain and decrease the number of cases in Sabah.”

Noor Hisham also said Perak and Terengganu recorded three cases each today, while Negeri Sembilan and Kelantan detected two each.

Johor, Pahang, Kuala Lumpur and Labuan each reported one new Covid-19 case.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR LIVE UPDATE OF THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA