KUALA LUMPUR: The work-from-home policy for the public sector has been extended to all states following the closure of schools nationwide, Senior Minister for Security Ismail Sabri Yaakob said today.
He said it will be up to the heads of departments to determine who is required in the office, while the international trade and industry ministry will announce the policy for the industry sectors.
The closure of all schools in the country had left parents with young kids in a predicament as day-care centres are also to remain closed.
He said the rule would exclude those working in the informal sector.
Meanwhile, he added that the enhanced movement control order (EMCO) affecting Taman Mesra in Sandakan, Sabah, which was originally set to end today, would be extended for another 14 days until Nov 24.
He said this was done following advice and risk analysis from the health ministry after 1,124 screenings were conducted. A total of 134 positive cases have been recorded, 43 of whom have recovered.
“There are still 91 active cases in the area,” he said.
On the other hand, however, Ismail announced that the EMCO in Taman Mawar, Sandakan would conclude today as scheduled.
Taman Mawar was put under lockdown from Oct 28, with the health ministry recording a total of 87 positive cases. So far, 64 patients have recovered with only 23 still considered “active”.
Meanwhile, Ismail said police arrested 341 individuals for flouting SOPs yesterday, with 307 given compounds, 33 remanded and one given bail.
Of this figure, 116 were arrested for not wearing face masks, 63 for failing to prepare equipment or recording customers’ personal details, 57 for flouting physical distancing rules and 37 for driving with passengers beyond the passenger limit.
Meanwhile, 31 people were arrested for interstate or inter-district travel without permission, 25 for activities at entertainment centres and 12 for other offences.