KOTA KINABALU: The minister for Sabah and Sarawak affairs, Maximus Ongkili, says Putrajaya remained adamant in refusing to make public the findings by the Malaysia Agreement 1963 (MA63) Special Cabinet Committee.
He said the committee was established by the Pakatan Harapan government on Sept 5, 2018. The report was technical and was still the subject of negotiations between the federal government and both Sabah and Sarawak, he added.
Ongkili said the committee had met five times — on Dec 17, 2018, and March 5, May 17, July 23 and Nov 18 in 2019.
“A total of 21 claims were submitted by the Sabah and Sarawak state governments for discussion.
“Out of these 21 issues, 17 were taken up for discussion. Three of them were considered to be resolved while the other 14 need further action,” he said in his closing speech on the 2021 budget debate in the Dewan Rakyat today.
He said outstanding issues not resolved included oil royalty, cash payment for petroleum and oil fields, the Territorial Sea Act 2012 and the Continental Shelf Act 1966.
He said no decision had been made on a proposed amendment to Article 1 Clause 2 of the Federal Constitution as this had legal implications.
He said the Special Council on MA63, consisting of the prime minister, the Sabah and Sarawak chief ministers, eight federal ministers and representatives from the federal and state governments, would hold its first meeting on Nov 30.