PETALING JAYA: The world’s largest rubber glove manufacturer says that not all positive Covid-19 cases from the Teratai cluster, which is affecting Selangor and Kuala Lumpur, were from their facilities.
In a live-streamed press conference today, Top Glove executive director Lim Cheong Guan said that about 3,000 cases out of the 4,036 reported from the cluster were from their factories and hostels, with the remainder being from other factories.
However, he did not provide more details on his claim, saying that only the health ministry could provide the exact figures.
Lim said that the high number of cases in the past few days were mainly due to increased testing being done at their facilities, which has now been placed under the enhanced movement control order (EMCO).
A Top Glove workers’ hostel in Klang was placed under the EMCO from Nov 17, after 215 Covid-19 cases were detected there.
Lim said the company was also aiming to screen all their factory workers and employees, including those who were not in lockdown areas.
He is hopeful that things would go back to normal in a few weeks, as cases are expected to show a downward trend after all the screenings are completed.
Lim added that 500 of their workers have been discharged so far, after being hospitalised for six days, and have been placed at designated hostels or hotels to complete the rest of their 14-day quarantine period.
He added that Top Glove is looking to recommence operations in stages after all employees are confirmed to be clear of Covid-19 and fit to resume work.
CLICK HERE FOR OUR LIVE UPDATE OF THE COVID-19 SITUATION IN MALAYSIA
We are live on Telegram, subscribe here for breaking news and the latest announcements.