KOTA KINABALU: Warisan vice-president Peter Anthony has denied breaking quarantine rules after he was recently seen attending an event in Limbahau, Papar.
The former Sabah infrastructure development minister clarified that he was under quarantine from April 16 for 10 days, but was cleared to return home four days later.
Peter also denied claims that his lawyer was being dishonest when informing the court about his quarantine order.
“The release was granted after I was confirmed to be negative for Covid-19 during my second test conducted at the Keningau quarantine centre. The status of my health was also found to be satisfactory,” he said in a Facebook post yesterday.
In the post, Peter also attached a picture of his Covid-19 test results and his letter of release from the health ministry.
“This is evidence that the spread of false information on social media was malicious and aimed at tarnishing my reputation and name.”
On Monday, Peter’s hearing on charges of using false documents was postponed by the sessions court after he was identified as a close contact of a Covid-19 case.
His lawyer, D Senthinathan, told the court that Peter had been ordered to be in quarantine for 10 days from April 16 to April 26 and requested the court to postpone the hearing.
Judge Azura Alwi then set May 3 and 4 for the next hearing.
Peter, who was the former managing director of Asli Jati Sdn Bhd, has been charged with falsifying a letter, dated June 9, 2014, from the office of the Universiti Malaysia Sabah vice-chancellor.
He allegedly inserted a false statement in the title of the letter with the intention of deceiving the office of the principal private secretary to the prime minister at the Perdana Putra Building in Putrajaya between June 13, 2014, and Aug 21, 2014.