ALOR SETAR: Kedah menteri besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor is prepared to face any legal action if he is found guilty of being involved in test driving a car at Autocity Juru, Penang, on Saturday.
Sanusi said it was not up to netizens, his haters or supporters to decide if he was right or wrong in this matter, but rather for the established law enforcement system in the country.
“I’m not saying I’m not wrong, but if there is a breach of SOPs, it’s a serious case, and I apologise because it happened by chance,” he said at a press conference after visiting a Covid-19 quarantine and treatment centre here today.
He was asked to comment on images on social media allegedly showing himself and several others in a test drive at a vehicle sales and exhibition centre at a time when the country is under total lockdown.
Commenting on the incident, Muhammad Sanusi said he was on his way to Kuala Lumpur to attend a meeting accompanied by an escort officer and driver.
He said that when he arrived at the area, he decided to stop to buy some food at a convenience store as he was worried that he would not be able to stop to eat anywhere else on his way to the capital.
“After stopping at the store, I asked my driver to buy some bread and mineral water and I saw there were a lot of cars there, so I got down (from my vehicle) to take a look, and greeted a salesman who was there.
“The car sales gallery was closed, but there was a salesman so I asked him about the cars there, and didn’t realise the incident was being recorded by an individual who later made it viral,” he said.
Muhammad Sanusi said he was also willing to help pay the compound fines for his driver, escort officer and the salesman if they were found guilty as he felt the incident happened because he greeted the salesman.
Commenting on the Toyota Vellfire vehicle belonging to Syarikat Air Darul Aman which he used to travel to Kuala Lumpur, Muhammad Sanusi said he was eligible to use it as chairman of the company.
Seberang Perai Tengah police chief Shafee Abd Samad said police had recorded the menteri besar’s statement and that of four other individuals.
“So far a total of five people have recorded evidence including the menteri besar, and the police are still in the process of completing the investigation.”