GEORGE TOWN: Kedah menteri besar Muhammad Sanusi Md Nor has paid a RM1,500 fine over a movement control order (MCO) violation related to a test drive jaunt in Juru, Penang on June 5.
An aide of the menteri besar confirmed that the sum was paid to the Kota Setar district health office’s inspectorate division yesterday.
The aide also explained that the compound notice was handed over to him yesterday by the police. Previously, Bukit Aman had said the amount was to be determined by the health authorities since it involved the Prevention of Diseases law.
On June 5, a woman took to Facebook saying she spotted the menteri besar and his two aides test driving a RM211,000 pick-up truck at Juru Auto City.
In response, the menteri besar denied test driving the vehicle, saying he was merely driven around by a salesman.
Nini Siron, 36, had taken photos and videos of the MB’s arrival at a Ford dealership at Juru Auto City, and later uploaded them onto Facebook. She lodged a police report the same day, which was the basis of a police investigation against Sanusi. Test drives are not allowed during the full lockdown which has been in force since June 1.
In explaining what took place, Sanusi said the incident took place by chance when he was on his way to Kuala Lumpur for a meeting.
He said he had stopped to buy “bread and water” at a RM2 shop at Juru Auto City and chanced upon a Ford showroom next door and struck up a conversation with a salesman there.
Sanusi then took up the salesman’s offer to go on a short drive in the pick-up truck around the area and later left for KL.
He was upset that Nini did not seek clarification before posting about the incident on Facebook, but promised to pay any fine meted out to him or the salesman if he was found guilty.
He was also quoted as promising to buy Nini a new and better mobile phone so she could record footage that was “beneficial”.