PETALING JAYA: PKR’s Syed Ibrahim Syed Noh has welcomed the government’s 5G single wholesale network (SWN) decision but urged for transparency and integrity in the implementation of the technology.
The Ledang MP said thorough planning and feedback from all stakeholders were required to ensure the technology is successfully adopted.
“I see the government’s decision as a step forward in ensuring the best digitalisation efforts for the country. This development is in line with calls from various parties, including the opposition.
“But transparency and careful planning involving the feedback of all stakeholders should be at the core of every government initiative,” he said in a statement today.
On Wednesday, finance minister Tengku Zafrul Aziz announced that the government would continue with the SWN model for the 5G network rollout, adding that a 70% stake would be offered to mobile network operators (MNOs).
“The government will be offering up to 70% of Digital Nasional Bhd’s (DNB) equity to MNOs. It will hold the remaining 30%,” he said.
Responding to this, Syed Ibrahim, who is also Johor PKR chief, said there remained several questions concerning the decision.
“Who are the MNOs that will share equity with DNB? How are the costs to consumers determined through this shared equity? And what is the probability of delay in implementing the 5G network?” he asked.
Syed Ibrahim also questioned the financial impact of offering a 70% stake and what effect it would have on the scope of responsibility between DNB and the MNOs.
On March 10, the government said DNB received RM1.7 billion in funding from financial institutions for the 5G network rollout.
5G network services are currently available in Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Cyberjaya. It is expected to expand to Penang, Johor, Sabah, Sarawak, Selangor, Negeri Sembilan and Melaka by the end of the year.