PETALING JAYA: A retired Court of Appeal judge has called on the country’s graft buster to provide an update on the probe into judge Nazlan Mohd Ghazali “as soon as possible”.
Mah Weng Kwai said such disclosure was necessary as the allegations against the Court of Appeal judge had become a matter of public interest.
He added that the seriousness of the allegations had affected the integrity of the judiciary.
On April 22, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) said it had opened an investigation paper following a report lodged about an unexplained sum of more than RM1 million in Nazlan’s bank account.
Nazlan has since lodged a police report over the allegations, saying they were “false, baseless and malicious” and aimed at undermining his credibility as a judge.
Mah, who is also a former Malaysian Bar president, said the public had still not been informed as to whether there was any such money in Nazlan’s bank account, even though police reports were filed in March and April.
“It is already mid-May. Certainly it is not difficult for the MACC to obtain all of Nazlan’s bank statements,” he said at a press conference today.
Nazlan, who was appointed a High Court judge on Jan 30, 2017, was promoted to Court of Appeal judge on Feb 3, 2022.
He was the trial judge who convicted former prime minister Najib Razak in the SRC International Sdn Bhd case two years ago.
Last year, the Court of Appeal affirmed the conviction, the 12-year jail term and the RM210 million fine on Najib for abuse of power and misappropriating and laundering RM42 million of SRC funds. Najib’s appeal is pending before the Federal Court.