PETALING JAYA: The Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) has denied conceding a mistrial in Najib Razak’s RM42 million SRC International Sdn Bhd case in the High Court.
In a statement, the AGC said, as respondent, it will proceed with the appeal and await its outcome in the Federal Court.
The statement is in response to a tweet and a “report” shared on social media that the AGC had taken the position that the trial is “invalid due to (a) mistake in the proceeding.'”
“The AGC denies it had taken such a stand. The news is totally false,” it said.
In May, the Federal Court had fixed 10 days from Aug 15 to hear the former prime minister’s final appeal against his conviction.
Last December, the Court of Appeal affirmed the High Court’s decision in July 2020 to convict Najib on seven charges of abuse of power, criminal breach of trust (CBT) and money laundering over RM42 million belonging to SRC International that entered his bank accounts.
It also upheld Najib’s 12-year jail sentence and RM210 million fine. However, the Pekan MP was released on bail pending his date with the apex court.
Last month, Najib also filed an application seeking to nullify his conviction citing trial judge Nazlan Mohd Ghazali’s alleged conflict of interest.
PKR’s Fahmi Fadzil later urged the AGC to lodge a police report against the social media account for spreading fake news.
The Lembah Pantai MP said the police and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission could probe the account and take action under the Penal Code and the MCMC Act.