SHAH ALAM: The mobile phone belonging to former TV newsreader Zalina Shaharah Azman, 58, was turned off as far back as Nov 20 last year.
Shah Alam district police chief Iqbal Ibrahim said police believe that Zalina, 58, might have disappeared earlier than Nov 29, the date she was reported missing.
“We wouldn’t have known she had gone missing if her son had not tried to contact her,” he told Bernama during a visit to Zalina’s house with Bernama chairman senator Ras Adiba Radzi.
“Zalina may have gone missing earlier.
“We checked and found that on Nov 20 her phone was turned off. Whether it was because the battery had run out, we are not sure,” he said.
According to him, Zalina’s house was found to be messy because it was under renovation to be converted into a gallery.
Earlier, in a statement, Iqbal said police were looking for the workers involved in the renovation project to assist in the investigation.
He said police had called in six individuals to record their statements since she was reported missing.
Previously, Iqbal had said police believed the television personality was still in the country as there was no record of her leaving.
Police received a missing persons report involving Zalina from her son, Mikhael Norman, 33, on Nov 29 last year.
He said he had been unable to get in touch with Zalina since Nov 24 to inform her that her father had been admitted to hospital.