KOTA KINABALU: A total of 27,736 people from 8,666 families are still housed at 153 relief centres as of 2pm today in states still experiencing floods — namely Sabah, Sarawak, Perak, Terengganu, Kelantan and Johor.
Sabah and Sarawak affairs minister Armizan Ali said all relief centres in Selangor and Pahang have been closed.
“The meteorological department reports that the second wave of the monsoon is expected to continue until Tuesday (Dec 27).
Meanwhile, he said the high tide phenomenon and strong winds over the past two days resulted in the collapse of three stilt houses in Tanjung Aru Baru, while another 27 houses were damaged.
Armizan said the floods and high tide phenomenon in the Kota Belud, Pitas and Kota Kinabalu districts in Sabah caused 674 people from 164 families to be evacuated to eight relief centres.
He said in Sarawak, four districts had been affected by floods so far, namely Betong, Kuching, Samarahan and Serian, which saw the opening of 17 relief centres housing 1,150 victims from 298 families.