GEORGE TOWN: Gerakan said today the Penang Draft Local Plan 2030 currently being presented to Penangites is “incomprehensive, unrealistic and poorly prepared”, and called for its review.
Party president Dominic Lau said the plan did not explain in detail about steps that would be taken to re-develop abandoned commercial lots, as well as mention the number and location of these lots.
“Usually in an action plan, we would incorporate the 5W1H elements,” he said in a statement, referring to six questions asked to gather information – what, where, when, who, why and how.
“However, they are not being incorporated in the local draft plan. It is crucial that these elements are incorporated in preparing an action plan.”
Lau asked why the Penang Hospital was included in a list of medical tourism and education products, arguing that the hospital was a public facility and that it was currently struggling to cater to the medical needs of the people.
Lau wanted to know if the state government could commit to building 64,600 affordable housing units on both the island and Seberang Perai by 2030.
He cited a written response given by the state government to Bukit Tengah assemblyman Gooi Hsiao Leung on May 27 last year, which stated that the state government built 8,661 affordable housing units from the year 2008 to 2021, meaning an average of 666 units were built each year.
With seven years remaining, Lau pointed out that the state government had to build 9,228 units per year.
“Therefore, we would like to request that the Penang state government review the draft local plan and prepare a comprehensive plan that includes clear action plans,” he added.
Separately, Lau, who is also Penang’s Perikatan Nasional chairman, said the coalition had begun talks over the 40 state seats that would be contested in the upcoming Penang state election and that seat allocation would be discussed before the Chinese New Year celebration from Jan 22 to 23.