KUALA LUMPUR: One hundred and two Malaysian workers whose services were terminated and replaced by foreigners in Penang recently will be given their jobs back, says human resources minister V Sivakumar.
He said the manpower department had taken action over the sacking of the workers.
“According to the report that I received just now, the company involved will reinstate the workers who were dismissed,” he said after opening the centralised labour quarters (CLQ) at the Moccis building here today.
Sivakumar had earlier warned employers not to abuse the foreign workers’ employment relaxation plan launched on Jan 17 to replace local workers.
He said those found doing this were in violation of Section 60M of the Employment Act 1955 and could be fined up to RM50,000 if convicted. Their quota of foreign workers would also be revoked.