PETALING JAYA: The transport ministry has released the report into the 1976 plane crash that claimed the lives of then Sabah chief minister Fuad Stephens and 10 others.
Its minister, Loke Siew Fook, said the declassification of the report was completed on April 6, in accordance with Section 2C of the Official Secrets Act (OSA) 1972.
“The ministry is committed to this principle of transparency,” he said in a statement.
The report is available for viewing at https://www.mot.gov.my/en/aviation/reports/n22b-nomad.
On April 5, FMT reported that the government had agreed to declassify the report on the plane crash which took place on June 6, 1976, popularly known as the “Double Six tragedy”.
Last month, the Kota Kinabalu High Court ordered Putrajaya to declassify the report.
Justice Christopher Chin issued the order to compel the government to make public the documents on the crash, and gave Putrajaya until June 8 to comply.
The ruling by Chin was for a lawsuit filed by former Sabah chief minister Harris Salleh.
In the incident, Fuad, who had been sworn in as the chief minister just 53 days earlier, died along with 10 others, including state ministers, when the GAF Nomad aircraft they were in crashed in Sembulan, Kota Kinabalu.
The others who died included state ministers Salleh Sulong, Chong Thien Vun and Peter Mojuntin.
Following the incident, the Australian GAF Nomad manufacturer and the Australian department of transport launched an investigation to prove that the crash was not due to mechanical issues.
The investigation was completed some four months later, but the full report was not made public. Instead, it was classified under the OSA.
We are live on Telegram, subscribe here for breaking news and the latest announcements.