PETALING JAYA: A former research assistant to Anwar Ibrahim said he still intends to prove his claim that the PKR president committed sexual misconduct against him.
“I am steadfast in seeking justice and to establish the truth,” Yusoff Rawther said.
He claimed that there was an assumption that he had withdrawn the suit against Anwar following a recent ruling by the Court of Appeal in an interlocutory matter.
“Even my family members called me, and I had to explain the legal position following media reports,” he told FMT.
Last week, Yusoff withdrew his appeal over a refusal by the Kuala Lumpur High Court to strike out a counterclaim filed by Anwar in the sexual assault suit.
He also withdrew a second appeal by which he sought to remove several paragraphs in Anwar’s defence statement.
Yusoff had filed the suit against Anwar in 2021, claiming that he had been sexually assaulted at Anwar’s home in Segambut on Oct 2, 2018.
He alleged that as a result of the incident, he was accused of plotting to bring down Anwar and damaging his political career. He also said the accusations had affected his mental health.
In December 2021, Yusoff filed an application to remove several paragraphs in Anwar’s defence which he claimed were irrelevant to the suit.
He also said Anwar’s counterclaim was speculative in nature, vague and lacked clarity.
On Sept 9 last year, judicial commissioner Johan Lee of the Kuala Lumpur High Court said Yusoff’s application was without merit. Lee ruled that the suit ought to be ventilated at a full trial.
Meanwhile, at case management yesterday, High Court assistant registrar Syalia Ain Zainudin gave directions to parties to file all pre-trial documents.
She fixed the suit for case management on Aug 9.
A trial date is expected to be fixed after parties have complied with pre-trial instructions.