PETALING JAYA: Petronas has confirmed its employee and other Malaysians at its office complex in Khartoum, Sudan, are safe following clashes between the Sudanese armed forces and Rapid Support Forces (RSF) on Saturday.
The company said its sole employee, as well as other Malaysians and residents at the Petronas Sudan Complex in Khartoum, had been accounted for.
The complex has both residential and office premises, including the offices of the Malaysian embassy in Khartoum.
It also said other Petronas Group employees were reported to be safe in their respective homes elsewhere, inside and outside the country.
“Petronas is closely monitoring the situation and is working closely with the relevant authorities to ensure the safety of all personnel. This remains our utmost priority,” it said in a statement.
Earlier, the foreign ministry said it was monitoring the situation in Khartoum following the clashes, which have led to political and security unrest in the country.
The Malaysian embassy in Khartoum confirmed that certain parts of the city continued to experience unrest following these developments, according to Wisma Putra.
The ministry also said all 29 registered Malaysians in Sudan, mostly students, had been accounted for and confirmed to be safe.
Wisma Putra said it was in close contact with them and providing all necessary assistance.
It also strongly advised all Malaysians who plan to travel to Sudan to defer their travel until the situation stabilises.
Earlier, Reuters quoted the Sudanese Doctors’ Union as saying that at least 25 people were killed and another 183 were wounded in the conflict in the northeast African country.
A prolonged confrontation between the RSF and army could plunge Sudan into widespread conflict as it struggles with economic breakdown and tribal violence, as well as derail efforts to move towards elections.
Reuters reported that the RSF is Sudan’s main paramilitary group, who on Saturday claimed it had taken control of the presidential palace and the country’s international airport in an apparent coup attempt.
It accused the army of attacking first; the military said it was fighting back, the agency reported today.
Analysts estimate the RSF to be about 100,000 strong, with bases and deployments across the country, it added.
We are live on Telegram, subscribe here for breaking news and the latest announcements.