PETALING JAYA: The government is believed to be planning to introduce a second 5G network in January next year as part of its move to dismantle monopolies and promote competition.
Quoting sources, Reuters reported that the government is considering introducing another network to challenge Digital Nasional Bhd’s (DNB) monopoly in the market.
DNB is a special-purpose vehicle under the finance ministry to undertake the nationwide deployment of 5G.
The news agency’s sources also said a proposal on the second network plan is expected to be submitted to the Cabinet on Wednesday.
The plan for a second network would be contingent on DNB and mobile operators ensuring that 5G network coverage reaches the government’s target of 80% of the country’s populated areas by the end of this year, the sources said.
When contacted by Reuters, an aide to communications and digital minister Fahmi Fadzil said the matter is still under review.
Last week, Bernama reported that as of March 31, the 5G network coverage in Malaysia had reached 55%.
Fahmi said it was a positive development and showed that the government was on track in ensuring 80% of populated areas would get 5G network coverage by the end of 2023.