PETALING JAYA: The victims and next-of-kin of those who perished in the Batang Kali landslide last December have slammed the government for keeping them in the dark on the investigation that was commissioned following the tragedy.
In a joint statement, they pointed out that it has been six months since the Dec 16 landslide but Putrajaya has yet to release the report on the incident.
They said they had applied to the Selangor menteri besar’s office and the three relevant federal ministries – home, works, and natural resources, environment and climate change – to get a hold of the report, but to no avail.
“We have done as instructed, but have received no news thus far,” they said. “Has the Malaysian government forgotten about the Batang Kali incident?”
“For survivors and families of victims, the impact and pain is profound. Please take appropriate action against those identified as responsible based on the findings.
“Failing to address this will result in further negligence and will put future campers at risk. We don’t want anyone to encounter the same tragedy we experienced.”
The early morning incident on Dec 16 claimed the lives of 31 people, including 13 children.
Another 61 people trapped in the landslide were pulled out to safety during the search and rescue operation at the Father’s Organic Farm campsite.
They comprised parents, children, and staff from a vernacular school in Kuala Lumpur.
In January, natural resources, environment and climate change minister Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad said a preliminary report on the incident had already been read by Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim.
The next month, Selangor menteri besar Amirudin Shari said the state government was ready to release the full report on the tragedy if family members of victims apply for it.
He added that the report was prepared by the minerals and geoscience department.