PETALING JAYA: CelcomDigi, Maxis, Telekom Malaysia (TM), U-Mobile and YTL Communications will soon finalise their shareholding in Digital Nasional Berhad (DNB).
Communications and digital minister Fahmi Fadzil said the five telcos will support DNB’s 5G network implementation until it reaches 80% coverage in populated areas before switching to a dual network model.
“The service providers will take all the necessary actions to complete this process,” he said in a statement.
Fahmi added that as of June 30, 2023, DNB had already achieved 64.7% coverage of the 5G network and is on track to meet its set targets.
DNB was initially appointed by the government as the single neutral wholesale network provider for nationwide 5G infrastructure and network deployment.
However, on May 3, Putrajaya announced that it had agreed to appoint a second 5G service provider, with the shift to a dual network to commence by early 2024.
Fahmi also confirmed that Maxis had on July 11 signed a 5G access agreement with DNB after several issues it had with the deal were resolved.
“Maxis customers will start enjoying 5G services after obtaining shareholder approval at the extraordinary general meeting (EGM) next month,” he said.
In a filing with Bursa Malaysia last Friday, Maxis said it will seek its shareholders’ approval for the execution of the agreement at an EGM to be convened in the third quarter.
Maxis is the last of the country’s mobile network operators to sign on to the 5G access agreement with DNB.