BUTTERWORTH: Penang DAP chairman Chow Kon Yeow has downplayed claims that “hidden hands” within the party had dictated the lineup of candidates for the Aug 12 state election.
Chow said the party’s five-member candidate committee collectively decided on the lineup.
“We (Penang DAP) accepted the decision (made by the committee),” he said at a press conference here today.
Yesterday, former Bagan Dalam assemblyman M Satees, who was not nominated to defend the seat, claimed “someone” was treating Penang like their personal property and had been given “full rights” to decide on DAP’s candidates for the polls.
Labelling this individual as “the emperor”, Satees claimed that he and five others were not fielded as they were not in the same camp as the individual.
He also claimed that they were dropped for being outspoken in supporting incumbent chief minister Chow.
DAP chairman Lim Guan Eng dismissed Satees’ claims, saying all candidates fielded by the party also backed Chow as chief minister for a new term.
Lim urged those who were dropped to stay united with the party to ensure Penang remains under Pakatan Harapan.
Chow acknowledged that various quarters have voiced dissatisfaction over the choice of candidates for the polls, saying party members needed to handle their disgruntlement well.
“We will make sure our election machinery is not affected even though there are some who have left the party or are contesting as independent candidates,” he said.
Seven former assemblymen have been dropped for the state election, including deputy chief minister P Ramasamy and four other executive councillors.
We are live on Telegram, subscribe here for breaking news and the latest announcements.