PETALING JAYA: Economy minister Rafizi Ramli says a police report will be lodged over a social media posting by PAS concerning the allegation that 54,000 Chinese nationals are being granted Malaysian citizenship.
Rafizi said the posting on PAS’s Facebook and Twitter accounts was a blatant lie and “clearly criminal defamation”.
“I will speak to home minister Saifuddin Nasution Ismail so that a police report can be filed over this social media posting.
“PAS must take responsibility when it continues to spread (lies) like this,” the PKR deputy president said in a Facebook post.
In its post, PAS quoted Bersatu information chief Razali Idris as urging the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to investigate the claim that 54,000 Chinese nationals were in the process of obtaining Malaysian citizenship.
Razali acknowledged that Saifuddin had denied the matter but maintained that an investigation should be launched to set the record straight.
“It’s not a matter of slander or accusation, but Malaysians deserve to know (the truth). We don’t want our country’s sovereignty to be breached, especially by internal parties. The home minister must take responsibility,” he had said.
His statement was published on his Facebook page yesterday.
On Aug 18, the national registration department (JPN) denied the allegation, saying a statement Saifuddin made in January had been manipulated, when he actually said a total of 54,000 citizenship applications had been submitted between 2017 and 2022.
It said these 54,000 applications involved applicants of diverse backgrounds and countries of origin, while only 45 individuals from China were awarded Malaysian citizenship between 2019 and July 31, 2023.