PETALING JAYA: Umno Youth will lodge police reports to demand an investigation into a purported leaked internal memo from the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC) to drop a 1MDB case involving former prime minister Najib Razak.
Umno Youth chief Dr Akmal Saleh said despite Attorney-General (AG) Idrus Harun stating that an investigation would be carried out on the leaked memo, there has been no update as of today.
He also said it was disheartening that Idrus will be on leave until he steps down from his post on Sept 5, adding that Idrus has “left the issue hanging”.
“This inadvertently leaves a negative impact on the public’s confidence in the AGC,” he said.
“Action must be taken to restore public confidence in our legal system.”
Several Umno leaders, including Akmal and Pekan Umno chief Fakhruddin Ariff, had previously called for the AGC to explain the leaked memo.
In October 2018, Najib and former Treasury secretary-general Irwan Serigar Abdullah were charged with six counts of criminal breach of trust (CBT) involving RM6.6 billion in government funds, which allegedly included payments to Abu Dhabi-owned International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC).
The alleged 12-page memo said an evaluation found the available evidence in the case “grossly insufficient to prove a prima facie case for the six charges, let alone to secure a conviction beyond reasonable doubt”.
It was purportedly sent to then AG Tommy Thomas by the lead prosecutor in the case, Jamil Airpin, in September 2019.
The AGC has since said it is investigating the leak of the document, but did not confirm its authenticity.
We are live on Telegram, subscribe here for breaking news and the latest announcements.