KUALA LUMPUR: The driver of the lorry that crashed into several vehicles in Putrajaya recently will be brought to court on Monday.
His remand order had been extended for two days and an investigation paper referred to the deputy public prosecutor’s office, Putrajaya police chief Asmadi Abdul Aziz said.
He added that the 25-year-old will be charged under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987 for causing death by dangerous or reckless driving.
In the 10.15am incident last Wednesday, a lorry ploughed into several vehicles stopped on a highway in Putrajaya during an exercise for police outriders to practise escort duties for the Le Tour de Langkawi bicycle race.
Based on CCTV footage of the incident, the lorry which had not slowed down, attempted to change lanes and failed to brake on time, crashing into six cars, three motorcycles, a police outrider’s motorcycle, and two lorries.
Two of the motorcyclists, aged 25 and 29, were killed instantly.
Inspection and safety audit
Meanwhile, the road transport department (JPJ) said it was compiling its inspection and safety audit (Jisa) report on the lorry, The Star reported.
JPJ deputy director general (planning/operations) Aedy Fadly Ramli said they were instructed to carry out the audit by transport minister Loke Siew Fook immediately after the accident occurred.
“I can confirm that we are carrying out our own investigation into the accident. We are compiling the Jisa and will be handing it over to the Land Public Transport Agency (Apad) on Monday for further action.
“We received the accident report from the police on Friday, so we are working now to finish the report on our end,” he was quoted as saying.
Aedy said besides gathering evidence from the scene of the accident, JPJ investigators will also go to the location where the lorry, which was carrying sand and stone, got its load to determine if it was overloaded.
He also said that JPJ will carry out a large-scale special operation against commercial vehicles, especially lorries ferrying sand, starting next week.