PETALING JAYA: Despite Barisan Nasional being wiped out in all parliamentary and state seats it contested in Terengganu, state BN chief Ahmad Said says the coalition is ready to contest the Kemaman parliamentary seat.
Ahmad said BN remained undeterred despite losing all the Terengganu parliamentary seats it contested in GE15 and all state seats it contested in the Aug 12 state election.
The former Terengganu menteri besar himself failed to win the Kemaman seat for BN during GE15, losing to Perikatan Nasional’s Che Alias Hamid by 27, 179 votes.
“Whether we contest in the upcoming by-election or not, (Terengganu BN) will leave it to the top leadership to decide.
“Even though we have lost all state and parliamentary seats, it has not broken our spirit. If we want to compete on a level playing field, we should not allow corruption,” he told FMT.
He said this after the Kuala Terengganu election court nullified PN’s victory in the Kemaman parliamentary seat in the 15th general election (GE15) due to bribery.
Election judge Anselm Charles Fernandis ruled that petitioner Wan Hisham Wan Abdul Jalil had proven beyond reasonable doubt allegations of bribery by Che Alias.
Che Alias later said he would leave it to the PAS leadership to decide whether to appeal the decision, which must be filed by Oct 3.
Meanwhile, Ahmad urged the Election Commission to take legal action against Che Alias and bar candidates from contesting in an election for five years if they are found guilty of being involved in corruption on the campaign trail.
“The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) should also investigate this case. I am saddened by the fact that no further action has been taken so far,” said the Terengganu Umno chief.