SANDAKAN: A factory worker was seriously affected while 12 others suffered shortness of breath, with eye and skin irritation, after being exposed to ammonia following a gas leak at an ice factory here this morning.
The Sabah fire and rescue department said the incident occurred at 10am at the Sinaran ice factory in Batu 3 here.
A team of 13 officers and personnel from the Sandakan fire and rescue station were dispatched to the location.
“The victims were nine men and four women. They were given initial treatment at the location before being sent to the Duchess of Kent Hospital,” the department said in a statement.
Firefighters rescued the victims trapped in the building before decontaminating and sanitising the entire area.
The operation ended at about noon.