BALIK PULAU: A 12-year-old boy suffered serious burns after being electrocuted when he fetched a ball from inside a Tenaga Nasional substation in Bayan Lepas today.
Mohd Dawisy Zarif Mohd Khairi was playing football with his friends at Taman Sri Bayu and had gone into the station to retrieve the ball when he fell and was electrocuted at about 4.40pm.
Penang fire and rescue operations officer Hirman Mat Rodzi said the boy had burns on his entire body as a result of accidentally touching the electrical equipment inside the substation.
A 10-man team conducted an assessment to ensure there was no more danger before handing over the site to TNB for further action.
Police said the boy had been sent to the Penang Hospital.