KUALA LUMPUR: The bomb threat emails sent to several schools in the country are just hoaxes, says Inspector-General of Police Razarudin Husain.
In a statement, the nation’s top cop said that police have received 19 reports of bomb threats from government schools, international schools and private schools in six states and Kuala Lumpur.
Seven reports were lodged in Selangor, followed by five in Kuala Lumpur, three in Johor, two in Penang, and one in Perak and Negeri Sembilan each.
According to Razarudin, police investigations found that two of the email addresses used by the sender were newly created and had never been used for any other internet services.
Police also found that the threats – translated from English to Malay – are the same as those sent to 70 schools in Jamaica on Nov 12 through the same email service provider.
Razarudin said police were currently investigating whether threats made in Malaysian schools were connected to the case in Jamaica, which was believed to have been perpetrated by an individual who claimed he had been abused during his childhood and lacked attention.
He also said that the police and the school management had immediately evacuated the schools upon receiving the threats.
“Security flushing” carried out by the police in the schools found no explosive devices, and their investigation found the email threats to be a hoax.
The case is being investigated under the Penal Code for committing criminal intimidation through anonymous communications and the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 for making false online content with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass another person.
“The police seriously view any form of bomb threats and will take immediate action in investigating these threats,” Razarudin said.
We are live on Telegram, subscribe here for breaking news and the latest announcements.