PETALING JAYA: The government is still working to evacuate the Malaysians stranded in Laukkaing, Myanmar following unrest in the region, says the foreign ministry.
In a statement, Wisma Putra said it was actively preparing for the evacuation process.
“However, the implementation of this evacuation process is entirely subject to approval by the authorities in Myanmar and the People’s Republic of China,” it said.
“Any developments regarding this evacuation process will be communicated from time to time.”
On Monday, foreign minister Zambry Abd Kadir said Putrajaya was hoping to fly home those stranded by tomorrow.
Zambry said 26 victims were initially found with assistance from the Chinese and Myanmar governments, but the number rose to more than 120 several days later.
Most of them are believed to be victims of overseas job offer scams.
Fighting has continued in northern Myanmar after a surprise offensive by an alliance of armed ethnic minority groups last month. They seized control of several border crossings to China, causing significant disruptions to trade.
Unrest in Myanmar’s border region has consistently posed challenges for China, despite its backing of the country’s military rulers who assumed power in a takeover in 2021.