KUALA LUMPUR: The government has not finalised its award for the multi-lane free flow (MLFF) project, says works minister Alexander Nanta Linggi.
On Tuesday, FMT reported that 32 highway toll concessionaires had protested the government’s move to directly award the MLFF project to a private company.
Under this project, all exit and entry points on highways will be converted into barrier-free lanes to reduce congestion and ease traffic flow.
Nanta today said the MLFF concept was forwarded to the government in 2021 and an “appointment agreement” was approved on Nov 17 last year after the Cabinet had evaluated the matter.
“But the public must understand that this only gives the company until next December to provide their proposal,” he told reporters during the launch of a motorcycle shelter at the New Pantai Expressway here.
“They must do a few things first, such as show proof of concept. This process requires discussion with all parties, including the (highway) concessionaires.”
Nanta said if this proof of concept is not satisfactory, then the project might not be carried out.
“So, this is not a final decision,” he added.
In Tuesday’s FMT report, sources said that the “appointment agreement” to award the RM3.46 billion project to a YTL Corporation Bhd-linked company in November last year was done without consulting the concessionaires who would eventually foot the bill.
The sources said the Association of Highway Concessionaires Malaysia had sent an objection letter to the works ministry alleging a violation of their individual agreements with the government.
The association is reportedly seeking legal advice on the matter.
FMT is attempting to reach YTL Corporation for comment.