GEORGE TOWN: Water will start flowing again in the next two days for about 120,000 consumers in parts of Penang island and the mainland.
However, another water cut for 16 hours will take place on Monday, to allow for a diversion of supply from a problematic riverbed pipe in Sungai Perai. Supply will resume in stages from 3.30pm on Tuesday, chief minister Chow Kon Yeow said.
Water supply to the 120,000 consumers had been stopped after the riverbed pipe gave way earlier this week, for the fourth time since December.
Chow said water supply will resume in stages to 84% of the 120,000 consumers by 11.30pm tomorrow, and the rest by Sunday. However, they should store water to prepare for Monday’s water cut.
“The diversion works are at their final stages. We will shut the mains at 11.30pm on Monday, for 16 hours to carry out the final works. The water supply will be restored again in stages from 3.30pm on Tuesday. However, I urge all to store water over the next two days,” he told reporters during a site visit.
The riverbed pipe supplies treated water from the Sungai Dua water treatment plant to the entire southwest district on the island and parts of Seberang Perai Selatan.
The latest rupture on Jan 23 forced the Penang Water Supply Corporation to temporarily repair the ruptured pipe, despite it being considered beyond repair.
Work to divert the pipe to ground level reached 80% progress this evening.
The diversion is considered temporary as another permanent structure would be built across the river at a cost of RM5 million. The state water company had said this would take eight months to complete.