KUALA LUMPUR: The fire that destroyed six low-cost flats in Cheras last Saturday was due to wiring issues, according to the fire and rescue department.
The department’s Kuala Lumpur director, Salleh Abdul said their investigation revealed that there was an issue with the electrical distribution board in one of the units on the 17th floor of Block 70 at the Sri Sabah public housing project (PPR) flats.
“The claim that the fire was caused by fireworks is untrue. Our forensic investigation confirmed that the fire was caused by overloaded electrical wiring in the distribution board,” he told reporters at SK Seri Cheras today.
He said the fire then spread to five other units on the same floor.
Salleh also denied claims that the fire hydrants in the residential block were not functioning.
“All the fire hydrants were operational, although with slightly reduced pressure. We also had to use other equipment to pump water,” he said.
As a precautionary measure, he said, a special task force would inspect all flats in Kuala Lumpur to identify flaws in the fire prevention system.
“We will do this promptly and make recommendations to enhance the quality of the existing system,” he said.
The fire was recorded by residents in the neighbouring block and shared on social media.
Bernama reported that firemen in eight engines, including a Skylift, were deployed to the scene. No casualties were reported.