Chong Wei pulls out of 2 major tournaments due to health issues

Lee Chong Wei will not play in the BWF World Championships and the Asian Games. (Bernama pic)

KUALA LUMPUR: National badminton ace Lee Chong Wei will not take part in two major competitions next month due to some health issues.

The competitions are the BWF World Championships scheduled for July 30 to Aug 5 in Nanjing, China, and the 2018 Jakarta-Palembang Asian Games set to be held from Aug 19 to 28 in Indonesia.

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) said in a statement today that Chong Wei had been advised by his doctor to take a rest and undergo treatment for a respiratory-related disorder.

“For the time being, he cannot undergo any intense physical activity for at least a month and therefore, we have to withdraw him from the BWF World Championships and also the 2018 Asian Games in Indonesia,” the statement said.

BAM asked the public and also the media to respect the privacy of Chong Wei and his family during his recovery period.

“We pray for his speedy recovery and look forward to welcoming him back at the Malaysian Badminton Academy,” BAM said.

Several media reports had said that the former world number one shuttler had not joined the training with other shuttlers at the academy this week, raising doubts on whether he would be ready for both the World Championships and the Asian Games.

Chong Wei only managed to win the silver medal thrice, in 2011,2013 and 2015, after securing the bronze medal in 2005 in the World Championships.

The three-time Olympic silver medalist also won the bronze medal at the Asian Games in 2006 and 2014, but his best achievement came in 2010 when he won the silver medal in the men’s singles event.