LOS ANGELES: Kenley Jansen is moving forward in his plans to pitch for the Los Angeles Dodgers again this season, but he said on Monday he might need a second heart surgery in the off-season.
The right-handed closer went on the disabled list last week after he was briefly hospitalised in Denver due to an irregular heartbeat. He is likely out until September, but he announced on Monday in Los Angeles that he plans to throw a bullpen session this week.
In 2012, Jansen underwent a catheter ablation to address atrial fibrillation. When the issue arose again Thursday in Colorado, he sought medical attention, then was sent home to Southern California, where he was examined by several cardiologists he had seen previously.
Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman said Saturday, “The fact that he has experienced it before, we were able to catch it much earlier than he did in 2011 and 2012, which I think is real positive. He was able to catch it on the front end.”
According to the Southern California News Group, Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said that Jansen threw off a bullpen mound Monday without going at full strength.
Jansen, the National League co-leader with 32 saves, has an 0-3 record with a 2.15 ERA in 51 appearances this year. He also led the NL with 41 saves last year and produced a 1.32 ERA, leading to him finishing fifth in NL Cy Young Award voting.
The 30-year-old veteran made his third consecutive All-Star team this year. In 525 games over nine major league seasons, all with the Dodgers, Jansen is 262 for 291 in save chances with a 24-16 record and a 2.08 ERA.