KUALA LUMPUR: National badminton ace Lee Chong Wei will return home tomorrow after undergoing medical treatment for early stage nose cancer in Taiwan, president of Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) Mohamad Norza Zakaria confirmed.
“I’m pleased to update you that Chong Wei has just been cleared by his medical team to return to Kuala Lumpur tomorrow.
“On behalf of BAM, I strongly urge members of the media and the Malaysian public in general to respect his privacy and that of his family,” he said in a statement issued here today.
Yesterday, Norza announced that the world number five player would remain in Taiwan to enable the doctors to monitor his progress before being allowed to return to Malaysia.
“With reference to news reports regarding the return of Chong Wei from Taiwan, I had spoken to the 36-year-old Malaysian badminton legend on Wednesday. At that point of time, he had not received medical clearance,” he said.
Several local media had earlier reported that Chong Wei would be returning home this Sunday.