MILAN: Genoa director Giorgio Perinetti said Saturday there was “no chance” the Serie A club would cash in on Polish ace Krzysztof Piątek by selling him during the January transfer window.
The 23-year-old Poland international has scored a league-topping nine goals in seven Serie A games after his move from Ekstraklasa club Cracovia last summer for four million euros (RM19.2 million), having scored 21 goals in 36 league games last season.
Piątek’s 14 goals in 10 competitive games for club and country have attracted the interest of English side Chelsea and Spanish giants Barcelona, as well as Serie A rivals Napoli, Roma, Inter Milan, and Juventus, with his price tag now estimated at 50 million euros (RM240 million).
“Not a chance!” Perinetti told Italian television station TMC when asked if the striker could be sold.
“He is our player and we’re keeping him. We are studying his progress and haven’t put a price on him, so we’ll just enjoy him for the moment.”
“We’re curious to see just how good he can become, but right now we’re helping him have a good season.”
Perinetti added: “There is a queue for Piątek, including international sides and I hope it grows, but so far there are only shows of interest.”
“He reminds me a little of those strikers of the past, from the 1960s and 70s, who scored a lot of goals and kept chatter to a minimum.”
Piątek made his international debut last September against the Republic of Ireland and scored in the Nations League against Portugal this month.
Genoa fired coach Davide Ballardini during the week with Ivan Jurić returning for his third stint at the northwestern port side, who are 11th in Serie A with 12 points from seven games.
“Jurić is a very positive coach and we hope he can give us the results we want,” added Perinetti.