The extension rules the 64-year-old out of becoming Brazil’s national coach.
MADRID: Carlo Ancelotti extended his contract with Real Madrid to June 2026 today, ruling him out of becoming Brazil’s national coach.
“Real Madrid and Carlo Ancelotti have reached agreement on the extension of his contract till June 30, 2026,” Real said in a statement.
It had been reported in July this year that 64-year-old Ancelotti would become the first foreigner to coach Brazil in almost 60 years once he saw out his present Real contract next year.
Stay up-to-date by following FMT's Telegram channelFMT
The Brazil Football Confederation had named Fernando Diniz as the temporary manager before they anticipated Ancelotti taking control for the 2024 Copa America.
Ednaldo Rodriguez, the then president of the CBF, held months of negotiations with Ancelotti, who had previously stated the Real job would be his last in football.
However, it appeared one of the most glamorous and challenging jobs in football had brought a change of mind.
“We went after him not only due to his record but also because he is a decent person,” Rodrigues told beIN Sports earlier this year.
“Those who have worked with him say that he is open, cultured, and he appreciates Brazilian football.”
However, under Diniz, Brazil’s woes on the pitch have continued and they presently occupy the sixth and final regional qualifying spot for the 2026 World Cup.
Ancelotti is regarded as one of the greatest coaches of all time.
He has won the Champions League four times – twice with AC Milan and also on two occasions with Real Madrid.
He has won domestic league titles with Real and Milan, in England with Chelsea, in Germany with Bayern Munich, and in France with Paris Saint-Germain.