China says former Interpol chief accepted bribes

China’s public security ministry says the former Chinese head of Interpol, who went missing last month, has been placed under investigation for accepting bribes. (AFP pic)

BEIJING: The former Chinese head of Interpol, who went missing last month, has been placed under investigation for accepting bribes, China’s public security ministry said Monday.

Meng Hongwei, who resigned on Sunday, “accepted bribes and is suspected of violating the law”, the ministry said in a statement, adding that any others who took bribes would be investigated.