After shooting, Pentagon restricts foreign trainee access to guns

US military grounded Saudi pilots and restricted visiting personnel after the Pensacola Naval Air Station incident. (AP pic)

WASHINGTON: The Pentagon announced on Friday new restrictions on international military students’ access to guns on US bases, as well as other measures, after a Saudi officer killed three US sailors at a Florida naval base last month.

“Getting back to work does not mean getting back to business as usual. Going forward we will put several new policies and security procedures in place,” Garry Reid, a senior Pentagon intelligence official, said in a statement.

Three US sailors were killed and eight other people were wounded in the attack at the Pensacola Naval Air Station. A deputy sheriff shot dead the gunman, Saudi Air Force Second Lieutenant Mohammed Saeed Alshamrani.

After the attack, the US military grounded Saudi pilots and restricted the some 850 visiting Saudi military personnel in the country to classroom training as part of a “safety stand-down” during which time it reviewed vetting procedures.

Reid said in a statement that all military departments could fully resume training when the new procedures were in place.

Next week, Defence Secretary Mark Esper is due to visit the base in Pensacola, Florida, where the shooting took place and will brief base leadership on the planned changes in vetting and security, the Pentagon says.