LONDON: British police said today they would not take any further action following an investigation into media reports that honours had been offered in return for donations to one of King Charles’ charities.
London’s Metropolitan Police began investigating last year after the Sunday Times reported a Saudi businessman had received an award after paying thousands of pounds towards projects supported by Charles.
Prosecutors had reviewed a file of evidence following an investigation by the police’s special enquiry team (SET) to see if any offences had been committed, and detectives said they had concluded no further action would be taken.
“Should any new information or evidence come to light that requires further assessment, this will be carried out by the Met’s SET,” the police statement said.
“Nobody has been arrested or charged during the course of this investigation.”
The allegations, which were related to the Prince’s Foundation, were made before Charles became king following the death of his mother Queen Elizabeth last September.