UNITED NATIONS: Syria has extended permission for the UN to deliver aid to opposition-held areas in the northwest of the country via two Turkish border crossings for another three months, the UN said on Monday.
After an earthquake killed more than 50,000 people in Turkey and Syria in February, Damascus initially allowed the UN to dispatch aid through the Turkish crossings for three months. That has now been extended for a third time until Feb 13.
“The UN cross-border operation remains a lifeline to people in north-west Syria. Each month, the UN and partners reach an average of 2.5 million people with critical assistance and protection services,” the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said in a statement.
Syria’s mission to the UN in New York confirmed the extension of the UN use of the Bab al-Salam and Al Ra’ee crossings.
The UN had also been using the Bab al-Hawa crossing from Turkey to deliver aid to millions in northwest Syria since 2014 with authorization from the UN Security Council. But that expired in mid-July after the 15-member body could not reach an agreement to extend it.
Just days later the Syrian government said the UN could continue using the Bab al-Hawa crossing for another six months.
The UN said that so far this year more than 4,200 trucks carrying UN aid have used Bab Al-Hawa, Bab Al-Salam and Al Ra’ee border crossings.